Friday, May 7, 2010

!! Signs Blu ray



I admit I was entirely wrong when I originally outright dismissed this movie when it first came out. I was apparently holding a grudge at the time because of my *strong* dislike for the Sixth Sense. Completely different movies, so my initial reaction upon watching Signs was totally unfair, and for that I feel the need to apologize. I'm sorry!



I guess back then I was expecting Signs to be an all-out alien invading film that involves the mysterious space creatures constantly finding terrifying ways to torture the people on Earth. Instead, the storyline is much slower paced, allowing more time to build suspense, and allowing more time to slowly unravel what the aliens look like and what their intentions are. Sorry, I didn't realize this back when the movie first came out.



What's even more mysterious about my dislike for Signs back in the day is that I usually LOVE small town, family-oriented films. I don't know what I was thinking back then to be honest, I really don't.



It's also entirely possible I just didn't get M. Night Shyamalan's style. After all, let's be completely honest here- his style was quite revolutionary when it first came out. I mean, this isn't your ordinary horror film. Some may love his style, others may not, but the one thing that can't be denied is that his style is certainly *different*.



Anyway, Signs does a great job keeping the suspense constant by way of releasing a very small amount of storyline at a time. It doesn't give away too much too soon so the movie ultimately becomes predictable. No, it avoids all THAT typical nonsense.



My favorite part of film is probably when the entire family is in the car, and hear alien screeches and sounds coming from the baby monitor. Everyone then exits the car, as the sound continues (apparently coming from the nearby cornfield, though to be honest, I was quite confused over what was taking place in Pennsylvania and what was taking place in Mexico City and other places). Talk about a perfectly executed eerie build-up in horror quality THIS moment is.



The ending is probably the weakest part, and in fact, the only negative I have with the movie. The best part about Signs is that, for the majority of it, we didn't actually SEE the aliens. So when the ending came along... I was disappointed.



The way the aliens appear should have been left up to our imaginations so we could have interpreted what they look like by ourselves. Small complaint, I promise.



Overall, yeah, the suspense is really good. I totally don't know why I didn't like this film when it was first released. I love it now. Mel Gibson nails his role, and the rest of the characters (including the little boy who DOES look like Macaulay Culkin) are right on the money as well. For the most part, this is horror storytelling done right.
(1234 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=3.5 / 5.0

More Detail For Signs Blu ray


  • ISBN13: 0786936767155
  • Condition: NEW
  • Notes: Brand New from Publisher. No Remainder Mark.

No comments: