Wednesday, April 7, 2010

$ The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button The Criterion Collection Blu ray



I'm weighing in late on this one, but I didn't see until a few days ago. Really, what is left to say that hasn't been written previously on Amazon? I feel at another disadvantage as well in that I didn't read the original story first. Judging by what others have penned--and some unanswered questions of my own in the film--it may have helped to see what was on F. Scott Fitzgerald's mind. Well, I needn't explore the plot much since everybody's already done that.



The film has a lot going for it. For one, most of it takes place in Old New Orleans (my home town for awhile) and you can't go wrong--provided you capture the flavor (which I feel the movie did). It has 3 fantastically popular & attractive "stars" (and I must confess I haven't seen much of their work, particularly Brad Pitt's.) It has a great overall cast too. The African-American actors were particularly effective I thought. And, of course, it has a very mysterious & unlikely storyline.



On the debit side, the movie was too long for what it had to offer (or failed to suggest in the script). I think 15 mins. could have been deleted--and my aim would be the whole scenario about modern dance. Not cut completely, but cut nonetheless.



It was sort of funny that Tilda Swinton should be in this age-generation-bending little epic, considering her own role in ORLANDO where she not only age-bent, but gender-bent as well. I like her, but was not particularly keen about her Moscow scenes. There was just something superficial about them--not her--them.



So far I have not seen a Brad Pitt film where I could say, Wow, he's a really good actor; but as I said, I've only seen a few movies he was in, but not really "starred" in. This film didn't help because so much of his character depended upon technicalities (make-up, special effects, etc.) over technique (as in acting). As to his physical beauty, that was really only featured in a short scene with Cate Blanchett (my own reigning diva at the moment.) Sorry, girls...you're in luck, though, if you like tiny little old men.



I found the production interesting enough to see it twice in a row. I was mesmerized by the early scenes--and LOVED the big scene at the revival meeting. The little Benjamin was really, really cute & great to watch. These were the best scenes I felt. They caught the (inter-racial) mood of turn-of-the-century New Orleans. I noticed another reviewer had a problem with how the father was portrayed in the movie rather than in the book. A major reason to have read it first because there was something that just didn't click or ring true about it for me either.



Finally, what I will remember most about the film is the music--it was wonderful, perfect. Sometimes you could barely hear it, then at the appropriate spot it would amplify ever so gently--like a music box or from an old time circus. It was one of the best movie scores I've heard lately. Whimsical, mystical, magical to compliment the theme.



Despite the lack of the 5 Star rating, I know I'll watch the movie again...maybe even tonight (it's a rainy, stormy night--lightening & all, perfect night for a sweet fantasy.)



'night, y'all!
(252 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=3.5 / 5.0

More Detail For The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button The Criterion Collection Blu ray



    No comments: