Wednesday, May 12, 2010

@# Ultimate Avengers Collection Blu ray



Ok - I'll admit that I really liked comic books as a kid in the 70s and I was into the Avengers, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Spiderman, etc. Well I say this on Blockbuster and decided to rent it because I thought interesting. Well I'm really glad I didn't buy it because I really didn't like it. First of all it changed characters in a way that I really didn't like. Captain America was OK but seemed to second guess himself more than I remember. Ironman was dumb, weak, and an unlikeable person. Same for Ant Man. Banner was a whining, rat faced, weak and dislikeable character. Nick Furry was now a young black man and a general to boot. Maybe like a Doctor Who time lord he regenerated. Thor was a hippie nut case that got knocked out permanently by the Hulk with Thor's own hammer? I don't remember the Hulk ever being able to lift Thor's hammer and he tried many times in the comics I read as a kid. The plot made no sense. Aliens from WWII try to nuke the Allies, Capt America stops them and gets frozen (I remember him getting frozen but where's the Red Skull?), the aliens are still on earth with only 3 ships and SHIELD is trying to track them, their ships are made of a metal that absorbs all energy directed at it but Thor takes one out with lighting(???),Iron Man's armor get's dented by the Hulk (I remember Iron Man knocking the Hulk out with that armor once?), etc.



Well I'm too old to know that Marvel decided it was time to shake things up and create a new story called The Ultimates which loosely bases itself on the original Avengers. Once I googled it and read what it was all about, I figured out that this movie is based on The Ultimates without the dark attitudes from the comics. Thor is now a green peace wuzie who may be actually a mental patient, Iron Man is a drunk dark figure, Capt America is an over zealot nationalist, Banner is insecure whining weakling, Giant-Man is an arrogant idiot, and not they fight against the "Chitauri" who look a lot like HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu (oops - I said his name so I guess he's going to eat my soul).



Well what can I say, I'm glad I didn't read this dribble of the times. I don't care to waste my limited time for entertainment reading about how there really are no "noble" heroes anymore and the world and the people in it suck. If that's what the world was really like, then let the aliens have it and destroy it because it's basically a hell on earth.



Anyways, returning to the movie, it tries to go off the dark version as portrayed by The Ultimates but is scared to go there fully so it straddles it with the pseudo noble characters of the original Avengers. I my opinion it fails miserably because for people like me who do not like The Ultimates and like the original Avengers, this movie sucks and is inconsistent with what we know from the comics. For the people who like the darker Ultimates and hate the boy scouts of the original Avengers, they won't like this movie because it didn't go far enough. All in all the movie stinks.






(167 customers reviews )
Customers Rating=3.5 / 5.0

More Detail For Ultimate Avengers Collection Blu ray


  • ISBN13: 0031398213314
  • Condition: NEW
  • Notes: Brand New from Publisher. No Remainder Mark.

No comments: