Saturday, May 15, 2010

#$ Star Trek Three Disc Edition Blu ray



So .... I love all things Star Trek. I can watch ANY episode/movie from any of the series ... over and over again.



I saw this movie when it came out. I walked out when it was over ... completely stunned!!! They took the entire franchise and basically yelled ... DO OVER!? Alternate time line starting basically at Kirk's birth? A NEW Star Trek?



Hmmm



Let THAT sink in!



Well ... I could argue both sides of any argument related to the script ... holes can be justified etc ...



But WHY did I watch the shows in the past?



I have watched and re-watched this movie several times ... and BAM ... it dawned on me ...



From day one ... Original Trek ... to ME Star Trek was all about the interaction between Kirk, McCoy and Spock! I loved how they participated in action/adventure ... and still had a sense of humor!! THAT is what fueled my love for sc-fi!!



When I watched the movie originally ... I was distracted by the already famous actors ... Simon Peg, Karl Urban, etc ... so the first time I saw the movie I spent more time adjusting ... in my head I could see their prior characterizations ... I was seeing them individually ... I was seeing more of their past work than the characters I had grown to love in the TV show. In re-watching the movie ... OMG ... they are SPOT ON with their renditions! They used juuust enough common phrases ... mimicked just enough actions ... had just enough humor ... yes they could definitely pass for ALTERNATE TIME-LINE VERSIONS of the originals ...



In rewatching this movie ... I dont think it is intended to replace the original ... I HAD thought that it was ... but no ... THIS IS NOT A REMAKE ... it seems to take the Star Trek franchise from 1963 into 2010 ... if it feels dumbed down .. welcome to our current reality and every other movie out there ... it is a sign of the times.



The loss of Vulcan, Spock's mom, Kirk's dad, etc ... it will affect the future. The changes were difficult to watch, knowing they prolly won't be taken back ... but maybe change is good? I didn't like the Uhura/Spock kiss/relationship ... I coulda done without that bit ... but he is actually the most logical choice for her.



I hope they keep making movies based on this alternate time line and that the makers of this movie thought ahead and contracted the main actors for many films to come!!



When I look at the Original TV show/movies ... and this new movie ... seeing there is nearly FIFTY YEARS separating them ... I feel I can only compare the FEELING I get from the main characters (the duplicates from the original series) ... is it the same feeling I had from the original series?? I take into account ... that writing styles have changed, society has changed, special effects have changed, people have changed, ETC ... BUT I take it all in ... and then ask myself, what feeling did the new characters give me?? I can say that the new characters were cast so well ... that I can definiely imagine the new cast as the originals ... thrown back in time to begin a new set of adventures based on a different time-line/alternate reality.



This movie had action/adventure ... the good guys and bad guys were VERY sexy ... good sci-fi story line which enabled a beloved character from the first series to join the cast ... Uhura had more to say/do than spin in her chair and say "Hailing frequencies open sir" ... etc etc etc ... I will re-watch this movie for years to come.



I plan on buying the 2 disc set to see the deleted scenes and have a digital copy ...



Buy it, watch it, love it!
(1268 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=4.0 / 5.0

More Detail For Star Trek Three Disc Edition Blu ray


  • ISBN13: 0097360718249
  • Condition: NEW
  • Notes: Brand New from Publisher. No Remainder Mark.

No comments: