Sunday, May 9, 2010

$*$ Salvage Blu ray



When I popped this puppy in the good old DVD player I had no idea what to expect. The only thing I knew going in was it was an independent horror movie. Now based off the majority of independent horror movies I have seen, there was a potential and/or formula for disaster. However, once I finished my viewing, I was pleasantly surprised.



I am not going to rehash the plot too much; many other reviewers have already done so. Basically, a young woman named Claire played by Lauren Currie Lewis (who looks like a young Alicia Silverstone and young Kim Raver combo) is a convenient store clerk who works the graveyard shift. Well Claire appears to have a problem; no matter what she does she keeps bumping into "Duke" (Chris Ferry).



Duke isn't your normal guy; as a matter of fact he is rather morbid. The problem Claire has is she keeps getting "killed" by Duke. Yes I said "keeps"; once she is killed she ends up starting her day all over again. Alternately, no matter how Claire's day goes she will bump into Duke and is going to meet her demise. This film sort of has a "Groundhog's Day" feel to it, but with an ominous and austere distortion.



The acting is pretty solid; Lewis does a pretty good job as the lead and for the most part is believable (given the circumstances of the plot). Chris Ferry's performance as the psychopath is a little hit and miss. There are times he is creepy and then down right daft. The one character who was a little insipid was the guy who played Claire's boyfriend. He's antics were crude and vexing which I felt did nothing for the plot, if anything it brought the movie down a level.



This being an independent movie, it had a "made on a shoe string budget" feel to it. Honestly, I liked it and found it very refreshing. There were some elements in this movie were a little "silly", but I don't think it influence the final product. Digress, I have seen many independent horror movies and more times than I can count they fall back on tons of nudity, profanity, blood and guts and lack of plot. Not that I have ANYTHING against the former "techniques" of horror movie making, but it is invigorating to see something a little different.



Overall I found this to be a nice little gem that was well written and directed. I also found the score to be hypotonic (the bands were sub par). The film seems a little disconnected while it is being revealed, but ties up all loose ends before the credits roll. I would recommend this movie to any horror movie buff.
(26 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=3.0 / 5.0

More Detail For Salvage Blu ray


  • SALVAGE (BLU-RAY DISC)

No comments: