Thursday, April 22, 2010

++ The Thomas Crown Affair Blu ray



I'm not going to do a movie critique. The Affair's remake is more than 10 years old and everything worth saying about contents, cinematography and actors' acting and looks has been said already. Suffices for me to say that this is a flick I enjoy watching whenever I feel like relaxing, probably because I like watching Pierce Brosnan. Also, it turns out, The Thomas Crown Affair was the first DVD I ever bought - selection was scarce back in 1999. Which partially explains why I ordered the Blu-ray. Sadly, what the postman brought was somewhat disappointing.



So, here is my objective evaluation of the Blu-ray edition.



- It comes in a cheap case. The kind with holes cut into the plastic walls so that maybe a couple of pennies are saved this way.

- It includes both the Blu disc and a double-sided DVD with the so-called 'full screen' on one side and the 'wide screen' version on the other.

- There are no extras whatsoever on the Blu disc.

- The DVD disc, apparently has one 'extra' - audio commentary by director John McTiernan

- Sound is 5.1 DTS-HD

- Alternative soundtracks are available in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese as 5.1 DTS and in mono for Russian, Hungarian, Turkish and Thai.



The Blu-ray transfer is just okay. The movie looks and sounds good but I imagine there is some industrial process these days where you throw a DVD into the Blu-ray converter machine and the Blu version comes out automatically - better than the DVD and not much human artist or technician intervention is required. There is nothing outstanding or worth writing about when it comes to this Blu-ray upgrade, other that my brand new, first time watched, unscratched copy skips in two places.



This is the first Blu-ray disc ever that skipped on my player. After almost 3 years of Blu-ray watching, I didn't know what Blu-ray skipping looks like. Now I know - the picture disappears for a few seconds, then it reappears. I know that it's skipping, not an equipment issue because I replayed the parts that skipped and was able to reproduce it - probably due to some low quality, cheap process used to produce the discs.



I really hesitated between a 3-star rating which means "It's Okay" and a 2-star which stands for "I don't like it". In the end, the "I don't like it" won. I can't recommend this Blu-ray as a purchase, especially to those who already have the DVD. I understand that studios need to make money but, my friends, the quality of this release borders 'junk' grade and we should not encourage the proliferation of such releases by buying them. I am sorry I spent money on my copy and, had I known before ordering what I know now, I would not have placed my order.
(345 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=4.0 / 5.0

More Detail For The Thomas Crown Affair Blu ray


  • ISBN13: 0883904210023
  • Condition: NEW
  • Notes: Brand New from Publisher. No Remainder Mark.

No comments: