Tuesday, April 6, 2010

#@: Stravinsky and the Ballets Russes The Firebird Le Sacre du Printemps Blu ray



I've always wanted to see the Firebird after having listened to the music in 8th grade and only having the music instructor describe what it was about (OK, I'm an antique and this was before the days of videotape in school). Anyway, this is a beautifully staged and danced production of the Firebird. The costumes are lovely. I was surprised by how short it was at less than 45 minutes; I seemed to remember the music as being longer in school.



The second ballet is far more modern and not really my taste. Had I not read the jacket, I wouldn't have known what it was about. It is supposed to be based on a classic Russian dance, pre-Christian era. It reminded me more of Hollywood's early idea of Native American dances; even the costumes seemed to lean slightly that way. If you are expecting a classical ballet, all this jumping around pigeon-toed will disappoint. This ballet is mercifully short. Spoiler alert: the bears carry off the virgin in the end. That is the entire plot.
(4 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=5.0 / 5.0

More Detail For Stravinsky and the Ballets Russes The Firebird Le Sacre du Printemps Blu ray



    No comments: