Monday, April 26, 2010

!$ Paris Concert Blu ray



As a long time player and fan, this is a great buy. I bought the CD several years ago, it was primarily recorded in Japan and I think the sound quality is a couple of steps better. This DVD is a French session/gig and has some different songs and many are the same. Unfortunately as I write this I don't have the liner notes and song lists in front of me, so I can't rattle off specifics. It's interesting to see LC using a late 50's Les Paul TV Model. I had one in the mid 70's and believe it or not I traded it for a TEAC 4 track reel to reel tape recorder--Tsk Tsk To have our "cars and guitars" back that we foolishly let slip away. In watching and listening to this DVD you can see the respect and admiration that Lukather has for his mentor Larry Carlton. One thing that stands out is the group's ability to just get in the groove and play, bee-bop, blues, jazz, whatever, no slouches on this stage, they show again and again their ability to make the music do their talking. I am somewhat turned off to the French venue, as I have a bad taste remaining from a rip-off DVD I bought featuring Larry Carlton and Robben Ford playing with a "band of French allstars" at a similar venue. This particular DVD had Larry and Robben on 2-3 songs and a bunch of want-to-bes on the rest, I've heard better. This was a marketing trick as there is another DVD of the two of them together for the whole disc. As they say "Let The Buyer Be-ware". As far as Carlton/Lukather goes, I give it 4 stars because the sound production quality suffers compared to other live DVD's that I have heard.
(15 customers reviews)
Customers Rating=3.5 / 5.0

More Detail For Paris Concert Blu ray



    No comments: